Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Update on Hyrum's Treatment



Prozac seemed to be working and even cautiously upping the dose, he was doing so well that we were getting close to setting a date for release. Then we started noticing that he was having unpredictable moods and extreme hyperactivity. Something as simple as "pass the salt" could mean an explosion from him or a tearful accusation. Dr. Burris offered us the option of adding a mood stable-izer on top of the Prozac but we've done that before and it hasn't helped. So it seems that if we treat the anxiety, his moods de-stabelize. And if we don't treat the anxiety, he has no quality of life. What to do? For now, we are lowering the dose of Prozac with the goal of removing it altogether and trying another medication instead. That means more time at the State Hospital.
We go through times when I'm doing better and times when I don't think that I can take it anymore. Maybe because my hopes were up, I'm having trouble lately. I wonder what his day was like. What did he have for dinner? Did he play outside? Who is his favorite friend to play with? Did one of the techs read him a story and tuck him in tonight? Will he hate us forever because of our putting him there? Did we do the right thing? Questions Questions

4 comments:

The Lymans said...

Hang in there Wendy. You are a WONDERFUL mom!!

Simcah Reid said...

Rely on how things came about and know that you got that answer to prayer. He's where he's supposed to be and where Heavenly Father wants him right now. I can't even imagine how hard it must be for you. We pray for you always. Hang in there.

Paul and Megan Hawkes said...

Hi,
You don't know me but I found your blog from Amy Williamsen's blog. I just wanted to tell you that you must be an amazing parent from just reading that one post. In your post I can feel the love and compassion you have for your son. Always know God is watching over us. I know you and your family can do. Keep your chin up, because the sun WILL come out tomorrow! God bless you.

Paul and Megan Hawkes said...

p.s. I hope you don't mind that I peeked in on your family, and commented! Have a great day.