Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Family Night Message

I (Wendy) got a job recently at Spectrum Academy as the lunch lady. Hopefully this will only be for a couple of months until the REAL lunch lady, miss Carol, is recovered from her stay at the hospital.

When I get home from being on my feet in the kitchen at 3:45 p.m., the last thing I feel like doing is being in the kitchen some more and cooking a big dinner. I am resolved that my family needs a home cooked dinner so I do it anyway. Last night I made these things where you put biscuits in a muffin pan and fill them with BBQ meat and top with cheese. They come out this little pie looking thing filled with meat. Jason and I liked it. The boys wouldn't even touch it to try it. The whining and complaining was phenomenal.

So when it came time for family home evening and it was Jason's turn for the lesson, is it any mystery why he chose the story of the ten lepers? He had each of the boys bring out five star wars action figures. (These guys are used frequently in our acting out scripture stories especially the battle scenes.)

He told them the story of the lepers being healed and only one returning to say thank you to Jesus. He explained how mom worked hard on her dinner and that they didn't even say "thank you." The next part I have to quote exactly because it's better that way.

Jason: So what do we learn from this story boys?
Hyrum and Porter: That if you don't say thank you to mom, you'll get leprosy!
Jason: That's right. So tomorrow are you going to thank her for dinner even if you don't like it?
Hyrum and Porter: Yes!

The boys ran off to go play and I was sitting stunned looking for the lightning bolt that would surely come and strike Jason for his liberal interpretation of the scriptures. I bet we don't get complaints about dinner for at least a week.

4 comments:

Happy2Bme said...

That is hilarious! I love it! We're gonna have to have that lesson soon.

Julie said...

Oh my word that was too funny :)

Stef said...

Out of the mouth of babes ;) LOL! I couldn't stop laughing :)

Mom and Kenz said...

Great story... your boys are great! Action figures acting our scripture stories -- I need to remember that one. No wonder Cam loves your house so much!