Tuesday, October 21, 2008

We here at the Steenblik's don't believe in consistent sleep. It's now 3:30am and at least I can work on figuring out how to blog while I'm up with a wide awake Hyrum.

Hyrum has struggled since birth with sleeping. In our appointment with his psychiatrist on Friday, she talked about how he may be experiencing cycling moods (like manic/depressives do) which will make him not sleep at all for manic periods and then sleep too much on the down side. Frankly, I welcome the times that he sleeps too much. But you gotta just remember when I'm writing this.

For those of you who don't know, Hyrum has been diagnosed with severe anxiety. There are so many different types. The ones that he has specifically been diagnosed with are: Generalized anxiety, Social Phobia, Separation anxiety & Obsessive/Compulsive disorder. They also think that he may be bi-polar but that is really hard to diagnose at age 6. Right now we are targeting the anxiety with the drugs so that he can function. My goal is that we can get on the school bus in the morning without all the ritual crying, begging, pleading, feeling sick and general drama.

Well gotta go, I'm going to try snuggling him back to sleep now that he's had some food and a little awake time. Later all, or earlier, depending on your point of view.

3 comments:

Justin said...

glad to see you guys in the world of blogging.
Sorry that Hyrum has trouble sleeping. try giving him some carrot juice

Tiffany said...

Welcome to the blogging world! I'll be sending you an invite to our blog, so watch for it!

The Arbuckle's said...

Hey Steenblik Family. I'm glad you started a blog because we love to hear about your family.

I think Hyrum needs to play with his uncle pickle head.