Thursday, August 20, 2009

Hey! Be nice to yourself!

Friday afternoon I got some results from a blood test showing that I am "early stage diabetic." I was devastated. I know that it means some big changes in the way that I live and I didn't feel ready to cope with it.

The rest of Friday and Saturday I had a headache. It didn't respond to medication or sleep or anything. I knew it was somehow related to the diabetic news. At 5am on Sunday, still suffering from the headache I figured out what it was. I completely blame myself for becoming diabetic.

I should have exercised more, and watched what I ate better. Diabetes is prevalent in my family and I can't recall how many times my mom told me to be careful and not get overweight or I will become diabetic. In her family, diabetes can mean death. How could I completely ignore her warnings and become diabetic at age 35? It's like the beginning of the end.

Not forgiving myself was what was wrong!

It's better now. I realize that the Savior's atonement can apply even to forgiving ourselves. I couldn't do it by myself. We all make mistakes and beating ourselves up about it isn't part of the plan. So.........be nice to yourself. There is only one you and you are important to me. (and probably a whole lot of other people too) Wendy

2 comments:

Happy2Bme said...

Wendy, you're important to me too. You are so happy, funny, kind, and outgoing all of the time. You have been a good example to me, and I know to many others.

Clarissa Grover said...

I love this post, Wendy (well, minus the diabetic news). But I love how we all need daily reminders of self-worth and how universally applicable and essential the Savior's love is. Thanks for your sweet thoughts.